"It was January 10, 2010. I was a few kilometres from my home in Bickleighvale Farm here in Banket. It had rained heavily the days before so the power lines had been disturbed. I just remember waking up in hospital and being told that I had been electrocuted. A few days later I was informed that my hand had been amputated." Nyasha Koroka, through her lawyer, is still seeking compensation from the power utility company.
The main pole that six civilian men were assisting four ZETDC technicians to repair when they were electrocuted on January 7, 2011 at Chiwaridzo Farm in Bindura. Disaster struck when a ZETDC technician mistakenly switched power back on in that area sending 33,000kVA of electricity through their hapless bodies. All ten men were holding the electricity cable when power was restored.
Kudakwashe Pfunde was severely burnt in the accident at Chiwaridzo Farm in Bindura and had to have some of his skin harvested from his left thigh to graft to his left armpit. As a result he can not lift his left hand all the way above his head. Before the accident he was working as a builder but now does minimal work. In 2014, a judge awarded him US$13,000 as compensation for his injuries.
Prince Chinembiri is one of the six civilian men who were electrocuted at Chawaridza Farm in Bindura on January 7, 2011. He suffered deep electrical burns of the left forearm which resulted in amputation of his left forearm. In 2014 a judge granted him US$14,000 compensation for his injuries. He had sued the power utility for US$105,000.
"It took me a long time to accept what had happened and that I will never have my hands back. My youngest children didn't recognise me and would say this is not our father but I just came to a point where I told myself that God knows why I am still here." In 2014 a judge granted Paradzayi Mupandenyama US$26,220 compensation for his injuries. He had sued the power utility for US$1 630 000.
Alexio Tembo is one of the six civilian men who were electrocuted at Chawaridza Farm in Bindura on January 7, 2011. He lost his right index finger, sustained 75% permanent body injury and suffers from weather pain. Plagued by the constant feeling of helplessness, as his wife left him after the incident and he could no longer take care of his four children, he attempted suicide three times. In 2014 a judge granted him US$15,000 compensation for his injuries. He had sued the power utility for US$120,000.
"A lot of people died in my ward when I was in hospital. Most of them had minor injuries compared to mine so I kept wondering if I was going to come out alive. I was grateful to be alive. Eventually I accepted that my life had changed and that I would no longer be able to walk, work or take care of my family like I used to. " After an almost 9 year battle seeking compensation from the responsible power utility company a judge, in December 2015 awarded Munashe Magwaza US$25,000 for his injuries.
“I have been surviving like a piece of paper floating around wherever the wind blows. As humans we suffer but not the way I have been suffering since my son died. I cry everyday when I think about him. I wonder where he would have been now when I see other boys his age.” Constance Sinachinga's son Takudzwa (10), died when he fell into a pit of unprotected live power cables in 2012.